Graphic Designers Make Me Uncomfortable Because...
What experiences have you had with your designer / design firm / design team? Is a stressful process? We asked 15 business professionals / bloggers at Central Iowa Bloggers (Des Moines) to complete this sentence: "Graphic Designers Make Me Uncomfortable Because..."
Direct Quotes, Un-Altered
These are direct quotes, not altered in any way. None of these professionals are commenting on their experience with us, because none are our clients. We asked these questions to know how we can improve our own process, and prevent possible frustration.
Help Us Complete This Blog Post
You will find no excuses, comments or explanations from us in this post. We hope this opens up the conversation and makes you feel like you are not alone out there. We look forward to comments and additions from you. Please comment on:
- Your own expertise in the area.
- Additional Areas of "Designer Discomfort"
- Possible Reasons behind the discomfort.
- Solutions to prevent miscommunication.
- Scenarios you have experienced
- Design Pet-Peeves.
"Graphic Designers Make Me Uncomfortable Because..."
- I'm to insecure as a designer myself to look them in the eyes for more than 10 seconds. ~ Andrew B. Clark, Interactice Director @ Love Scott & Associates
- at times I want to trust my gut over an experienced designers eyes. ~ Dallas J. Moore, Media Professional & Local Zombie
- I know too many "best practices" and bare elements that sometimes I am afraid of a designer who "breaks the rules" ~ Troy Rutter, Web Developer @ Captain Jack Communications
- Many don't understand how to balance business needs and budgets with design goals, and many haven't had enough real world experience to quickly turn ideas into focuses results. Designers who can are gold. ~ Doug Mitchell, Marketer @ Create Wow Media
- Many don't put enough value on "the message" - aesthetics over content. Collaboration is key. ~ Becky Mollenkamp, Creative @ Becky Mollenkamp Creative Services
- They hold me in a choke-hold just because I am not artistic. ~ Josh Stewardson
- They can rush me in directions I don't want to go. ~Mike Templeton, Analyst @ CatchFire Media
- All that "form over content stuff" ~ Chris Boring, Musician
- I can't control them. ~ Michael Libbie, Marketer @ Insight Advertising
- of their temperamental artistic dogma ("what do YOU know, I'm the graphic designer here!") ~ Timothy Johnson, Writer, Speaker @ Carpe Factum
- Preternatural preoccupation with fonts. ~ Brett Trout, Patent Attorney @ Brett J. Trout Law
- Too many options. ~ Andy Drish, Web Marketer @ AndyDrish.com
- They easily do what I have to try so hard to get done. ~Ben Stone, HR Ace @ RPG Consulting
- The don't focus on the business purpose of the project. ~ Jeff Garrison Sales god and trainer @ Sales Habitudes
- Never stay within budget ~ Tara Davis @ Hope International